This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
I doubt I’m the only person who enjoys eating healthy but still misses McDonalds’ apple pies….
Good news! This version is a pretty good mimicry! And it’s super easy to throw together when you need a quick fix.
Based off of the same principle used for my Fried Cream Cheese and Berry Taco, this version envelopes an amazing filling of delicately-spiced apples. I added some cream cheese too, which you can omit if you like, but I really think it adds a great dimension. Trim Healthy Mamas, this recipe is a crossover. Crossovers are healthy but not as weight-loss-promoting as recipes that stick with a single fuel (i.e. either carbs or fats – not both in the same recipe). If you’re at goal weight, you can enjoy crossovers no problem! If you still have some pounds to lose, keep crossovers for once-in-awhile treats. Want to stick with just one fuel? The Fried Cream Cheese and Berry Taco I mentioned earlier is a solid THM:S, and you can check out the Notes section of the recipe below for a THM:E version that’s not quite as decadent but should still be delicious.
Ahem…just so you know, there’s a S’mores Taco recipe in my cookbook….
A word to the wise: don’t omit the cloves! The cloves are what really trigger the “McDonald’s apple pie” taste button in my brain.
If anyone’s wondering, I used Granny Smith apples in this recipe. Mmm…I love their tartness, and they hold up great for baking.
Coconut oil does a delightful job of making fried foods crispy, and it works magic with low-carb tortillas or the Joseph’s lavash bread I mention in the recipe below. Frying it in coconut oil turns it into a pie pastry-like shell!
Want to see other fast food copycat recipes? Click here for a pictorial index!
You may also enjoy:
- Starting THM
- my recipe index
- my recipes grouped by fuel type, allergy info, and theme
- all my fall recipes
- all my single-serve recipes
- my fast food copycat recipes
Public service announcement – I just got a sneak peak at the new Laudate CD cover, and I’m so excited for its release in a month or so! If you preordered my cookbook and haven’t used your CD coupon code yet, please do that in the next week or two to help Cliff and Trina fund the cost of having the CDs made! You can contact them here.
- 1 c. chopped apple*
- ¾ tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend (or more, to taste)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Dash each ground cloves, salt
- ½ Joseph's Reduced Carb/Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Lavash Bread
- Reduced-fat cream cheese
- Refined coconut oil for frying
- Additional cinnamon and THM Super Sweet Blend
- Stir the first section of ingredients together and microwave for 2 minutes to soften the apples.
- Spread the apple mixture on one side of the lavash piece. Spread some reduced-fat cream cheese on the other side and fold the lavash over onto itself. Fry in coconut oil until crispy and golden brown on each side, then sprinkle with some additional cinnamon and Super Sweet Blend and enjoy!
For a THM:E version, you could omit the cream cheese and use just 1 tsp. coconut oil for frying. Obviously this version isn't as decadent, but it might still fill your apple pie craving.
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!