This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thanks for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Disclosure: I was given some THM Pristine Whey Protein Powder to review in this Cookies and Cream Shake, but all opinions are entirely my own.
Update: I changed the name of this recipe to “Cookies and Cream Shake” 12.6.16 to avoid the name “Oreo” in the title for legal purposes. It’s the same recipe!
How is it that I have ice cream and shake recipes out the Wazoo…but no cookies and cream versions anywhere to be found? Probably because I’ve never been a cookies and cream fan myself. Well, here I finally give you guys a cookies and cream shake (which can also be made into a single-serve ice cream recipe), but with a twist: “truffle” pieces (you know, like the truffles you make by smashing Oreos and cream cheese together). Don’t worry, it’s not that complicated. This is actually an invention of my sister Katelyn (she’s 13). One night I asked her if she’d make me a snack because a) I was feeling lazy and b) she was bored and c) I love seeing what she comes up with. She gave me a shake sort of like this one, complete with truffle pieces. I was so impressed that I stole her idea, tweaked it a little, and measured. I hate measuring, but when I publish recipes for the blog I feel a moral obligation to measure. I’m afraid to face the masses if I don’t.
Edited to add: I now have a Cookies n Cream Ice Cream recipe which can be found here. It contains bits of crunchy chocolate cookie pieces that you can also use in shakes like this one (if truffle pieces aren’t your thing)!
Not only did I want to share this shake recipe with you guys, but I wanted to try out my new Pristine Whey Protein from Trim Healthy Mama! I got some Baking Blend too, which you’ll be seeing in a recipe very soon… I have been so impressed with the quality of all of Trim Healthy Mama’s products (which can be purchased through their online store), and the protein powder is no exception. It is gluten free and GMO free and is processed using a cross-flow micro filter process (you can learn more about this on the Trim Healthy Mama store site). The whey protein powder is very fine and dissolves great. Containing 20 grams of protein per scoop, this protein powder turns a shake like this recipe into a meal or snack (or dessert!) great for any time of day. You can even have a naughty-tasting mock “Oreo” truffle shake for a post-workout boost!
The shake part of this recipe can be used as a great basic shake recipe that you can add anything to. It’s an S for Trim Healthy Mamas (you can click here for my quick synopsis of this eating lifestyle), but if you leave out the cream and use low fat cottage cheese, the base itself is a FP.
Want a chocolate truffle shake? Just add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and some extra sweetener to the shake base!
Want some soft-serve cookies and cream ice cream? Freeze the shake after stirring in your truffle pieces; you’ll need to freeze for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the ice cream reaches your desired consistency.
I hope you enjoy this truffle-laden shake as much as I did. It’s seriously chock-full of truffle pieces and healthy protein. What more could you ask for?
Please note that the brownie/truffle part is not meant to be eaten by itself. It’s nothing spectacular on its own, but rather meant to be crumbled up into the shake. If you need a real brownie recipe, here’s a single-serve recipe and here’s a full pan recipe.
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 1 cup crushed ice
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop THM Pristine Whey Protein Powder or other vanilla whey protein powder of choice
- 3 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- Dash salt
- Dash vanilla extract
- ¼-1/2 tsp. glucomannan
- 2 T heavy whipping cream
- Make the truffle first. Mix all the ingredients except for the cream cheese together and microwave for 50-60 seconds or until just dry on top. Mash the cream cheese and the brownie mixture together and set aside (refrigerate or freeze while making your shake if you want the truffle to stay in bigger pieces instead of crumbling).
- Make your shake. Combine all the shake ingredients and blend until completely smooth (I use my Ninja single-serve blender attachment). The longer you blend, the fluffier your shake will be.
- Stir the truffle mixture into your shake and enjoy!
I changed the name of this recipe to "Cookies and Cream Shake" 12.6.16 to avoid the name "Oreo" in the title for legal purposes. It's the same recipe!
- I use my Ninja single-serve blender cup all the time, and it makes this recipe so smooth! The cup comes with this Ninja blender set.
- Glucomannan serves as a thicker/creamifier in this shake.
- Coconut flour can be purchased here.
- THM Pristine Whey Protein Powder and Pure Stevia Extract Powder (my sweetener of choice; it’s so much better than any other stevia I’ve ever tasted!) can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.