This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
First published 11/26/13; recipe updated 4/11/16
Well, I wasn’t going to update for a few days, but my friend Lena from Montana was visiting and we made soup for supper and it was *so* good that we just had to share it. We didn’t really measure, and we just used what we had in the fridge, but it turned out *amazing.* So take our ideas, use what you have on hand, and tweak to your own taste. The flavor reminds me of Taco Bell’s Salsa Verde, which I love. Fresh, green, with a hint of spice. Kind of a Mexican-inspired dish.
We served the soup with Gwen’s bread, and I made a batch of Tummy Tucking Ice Cream (recipe found in the book Trim Healthy Mama) for dessert. The soup received rave reviews by the family; and as the weather is cold and nasty right now, soup hit the spot. If you have trouble coming up with E meals, this is a quick, easy solution. It’s filling, especially when served with an E bread of some sort.
You can find this recipe with an updated picture in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 2½ lb. chicken tenders or chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 T chicken bouillon (use an allergy friendly brand if necessary or substitute nutritional yeast)
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. lemon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups leftover cooked cauliflower
- 1 16-oz. can fat free refried beans
- 2 15.5-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1-2 cups corn (optional; corn is not super weight-loss promoting, but it's spread out among quite a few servings here)
- Fresh zest and juice from 1-2 small limes
- Salt to taste, if needed
- Cook the chicken, onion, water, ¼ cup fresh cilantro, bouillon, garlic, and spices together in a large soup kettle until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a blender, blend the water, spinach, cauliflower, refried beans, and the other ¼ cup cilantro together until smooth. Add this to the chicken mixture.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, corn, and lime juice/zest to the soup kettle as well and simmer everything together for 15-20 minutes. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Yields 12-14 servings
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!