This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thanks for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Ready for yet another off-the-beaten-path recipe? Combing elements of the ever-popular Trim Healthy Mama Shrinker recipe (which you can see here) with the Bulletproof trend, this hot drink has lots of metabolism-boosting properties with some cool flavors and a bit of a kick! My sister Katelyn and I really enjoyed it, but my mom (who has more traditional taste buds) took an unsuspecting sip and pronounced it to be “nasty.” I think part of her response came from just plain not expecting the flavors that hit her. 😛
I used Rooibos tea in this for a deep, rich fall flavor, but you can definitely substitute another earthy-flavored tea of your choice. I think Oolong would be good (and add even more metabolism rev)! As always, feel free to adjust the flavors to your own personal taste buds. I probably would’ve added a little more ACV if I wasn’t trying to keep this recipe more moderate for the blog.
Interested in more Bulletproof-style drinks? Try this chai version, and stay tuned for a hot chocolate and a hot peppermint drink coming up in the next month!
Tidbit of info to tuck away: “Bulletproof” is actually trademarked, so I couldn’t call the creamy Bulletproof-style recipes in my cookbook things like “Bulletproof Chai” or “Bulletproof Hot Chocolate.” Therefore, you’ll find them with the prefix “Velvety,” as you see in this recipe. I thought it was a very apt description!
So – are you brave enough to try this drink? Please do, and let me know what you think! Are my tastebuds totally off the wall?
You may also enjoy:
- Starting THM
- my recipe index
- my recipes grouped by fuel type, allergy info, and theme
- all my fall recipes
- all my single-serve recipes
Public service announcement – I just got a sneak peak at the new Laudate CD cover, and I’m so excited for its release in a month or so! If you preordered my cookbook and haven’t used your CD coupon code yet, please do that in the next week or two to help Cliff and Trina fund the cost of having the CDs made! You can contact them here.
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk*
- 1 c. water
- 1-2 Rooibos tea bags**
- 2 T. whey protein powder
- 1 T. refined coconut oil
- ½ T. salted butter
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar (or more, to taste)
- ¼ tsp. each cinnamon, ginger
- 3-4 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- Dash red pepper
- Dash vanilla extract
- Heat the almond milk and water and steep the tea bags to make a strong tea.
- Add the second set of ingredients and the tea to a blender and blend until frothy. (Be careful when blending hot liquids, and vent the blender as needed to relieve pressure. Alternately, use an immersion blender.) Taste and add more sweetener, spices, apple cider vinegar, and/or red pepper as desired.
**Or another fall-flavored tea of your choice