Bri’s Favorite Kale is my favorite way to eat cooked kale because it actually tastes like something! The Asian-inspired flavors turn an otherwise boring green into something delicious. THM Fuel Pull, low carb, low fat
I like to keep this kale in the fridge and heat it up for easy greens to go with lunches. Pair with 2-3 hardboiled or scrambled eggs for a quick protein source!
- 1 small onion (chopped) or 2 tablespoons dried minced onion (real is better)
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits (great but optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon THM Super Sweet Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste, start with less)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 pound bag washed and chopped kale
Combine everything but the kale in a large kettle (I used an 8 quart kettle) and cook (covered) for a few minutes to wilt the onion (or hydrate the minced onion).
Add the kale. Yes, this is a lot of kale but it cooks down majorly! Just stuff it in there. Once it starts to wilt it’ll be easier to manage. Wait for it to steam for a few minutes with the lid on, then stir to coat.
Cook (covered) over medium heat until the kale is as soft as you like it, stirring occasionally to incorporate everything. Taste and adjust as desired. If you want it sweeter, more vinegary, more garlicky – go for it.
You’re welcome to try this recipe with other greens but it may need some adjustments depending on how much they cook down compared to kale. I’m not a huge fan of spinach cooked like this – kale retains more structural integrity in my opinion.
The bacon bits used in this recipe are the packaged low fat kind (but real! not imitation), not your own crumbled bacon – although that is perfectly fine in a THM S setting! Use turkey bacon or omit the bacon entirely depending on your dietary preferences.
There’s a bit of spice as written (mostly from the sriracha), so feel free to adjust.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: THM Fuel Pull, low carb, low fat
Keywords: thm, trim healthy mama, cooked kale recipe, asian kale, asian greens