This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
A huge, gorgeous chocolate layer cake with white chocolate peppermint frosting has been on my to-do list for quite awhile now, and I was planning to make it this week to post today…but as is my typical habit, I tried to cram too many things into one multi-tasking kitchen session so I was like, “I ain’t got TIME for a white chocolate peppermint layer cake!!” And I figured that some of you might not either, so I went waayyy easy and made cupcakes instead.
These are not difficult cupcakes. In fact, the chocolate cupcake part is based off of my One Bowl Chocolate Cake recipe (page 269 of my cookbook). It takes about 5 minutes to whip up. The peppermint frosting (which is a-maz-ing straight off a spoon, by the way) only takes a few ingredients and a few minutes (think: TWO) to whip up. If you don’t have sugar-free peppermints, just leave them out. There’s peppermint extract in there too, so you should be all right. Very quickly, you will have party-ready cupcakes.
They really taste shockingly normal. I was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out on the first try. That’s always handy.
The white chocolate peppermint layer cake will be coming someday. Maybe next Christmas. Hopefully I won’t be in the middle of releasing a cookbook next Christmas.
Can we talk about the frosting again? It’s amazing. Like, seriously amazing. You could use it on many different things, like a layer cake. Or a spoon.
OK, it’s Saturday and I have things to do, so I’m going to be quiet now and let you just look at pictures of cupcakes and drool over said cupcakes. You should go make said cupcakes.
Coming up Monday: a peppermint recipe roundup!
As always, check out the Notes section of the recipe for extra info. Check out the links in and below the recipe to see the products I use and recommend. Some of the links included in the recipe and blog post are affiliate links, which means that if you make purchases through these links, I make a small commission to help defray the costs of running this blog (at no extra charge to you). Thanks for your help!
You may also enjoy:
- Starting THM
- my recipe index
- my recipes grouped by fuel type, allergy info, and theme
- Christmas-themed recipes
- all my peppermint recipes
- 1⅓ c. Briana's Baking Mix
- ⅔ c. cocoa powder
- 2½ T. THM Super Sweet Blend
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. + 2 T. water
- ¾ c. egg whites
- ½ c. olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the cupcakes, whisk the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix well. Divide the batter among 18 cupcake tin holes. (I like to use paper liners for less mess and no chance of sticking, but if you don't have any, grease the cupcake tins.) Bake at 350* for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Leave the cupcakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them and let them cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the first set of ingredients together until smooth. Add the cream and beat until thick. Frost the cooled cupcakes, then refrigerate the cupcakes to chill completely before serving.
The chocolate cupcakes without the frosting are dairy free if you use a dairy-free protein powder to make my baking mix.
If you don't have any of my baking mix on hand, you can try substituting THM Baking Blend. You'll probably need a few extra tablespoons since my mix is drier and soaks up more liquid.
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!