This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
I’ve been longing for soup weather. As I said in last week’s “What’s on My Plate?” post, soup is my love language. Nothing beats sitting down to a big bowl of fragrant soup on a chilly day after you’ve been working hard – in my case, typing away at a desk in a chilly basement, toes attempting to ward off the cold with a pair of fuzzy purple socks. Bet you weren’t expecting that mental picture, were you? Haha…
This soup, which I’ve dubbed “Happy Harvest Soup,” combines lots of vegetables, flavorful sausage, rich tomato juice and cream, and some unexpected spices to create a delicious taste of fall in every bite.
Almost every soup recipe I make is inspired by what is currently in my fridge (and to be honest, I rarely make the same recipe twice for that very reason). In this case there were a pound each of hamburger and sausage in the fridge along with some cabbage, mushrooms, and onions that needed used, so I started piling everything on the counter and supplementing the pile with canned goods and seasonings from the pantry until I came up with what I thought would be a tasty-yet-unique combination. The crowning touches to this soup were a little THM Super Sweet Blend and cinnamon – just enough to add a hint of fall flavor reminiscent of pumpkin and spice, but not enough to take over. It’s different yes, but it’s a good different. Leave the sweetener and cinnamon out if you feel you must, but trust me on this one. You might be pleasantly surprised.
As always, this soup recipe makes a large batch. We have a 6-qt. soup kettle that I use every time I make soup, and it always ends up filled to the brim. When I make soup, I make soup. My mom and I love to have leftovers to eat on for lunches throughout the week.
You may also enjoy:
- Starting THM
- my recipe index
- my recipes grouped by fuel type, allergy info, and theme
- all my soup recipes
- all my pumpkin recipes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground sausage (I used pork)
- ½ med. head cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. tomato juice
- 2 c. water
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 c. frozen green peas
- 4-8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ c. soy sauce*
- 2 tsp. each chili powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ¾ tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend**
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon**
- Salt, to taste
- 1½ c. heavy whipping cream***
- Brown the ground beef and sausage in a skillet until the juices run clear. Drain the grease off and chop the meat finely.
- Meanwhile, in a large covered soup kettle, cook the cabbage and onion in 2 c. water. When they are mostly soft, add the meat and the third section of ingredients. Simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the cream (do not boil the soup after this point). Taste and adjust the flavors as you desire. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then serve.
**Feel free to decrease the Super Sweet Blend and cinnamon if those flavors in soup make you nervous.
***Replace the cream with carton almond or coconut milk for a dairy-free version.
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!