This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
I’ve been itching to share this one for awhile. This is my go-to snack/dessert when I have nothing on hand, don’t want to go to much effort, and am craving something good. Like chocolate and peanut butter. It takes only 5 ingredients (all able to be found at Walmart) and will cure cravings. Trust me.
If you want to lighten this snack up a little, use defatted peanut flour in place of the peanut butter.
I suggest adding some protein if using this as a snack on its own. Grab a bite of cottage cheese on the side. Or just make my chocolate-covered PB&J protein mess.
This is a great way to get your coconut oil in…coconut oil is a great way to rev your metabolism, and it has tons of other health benefits as well!
Question of the day: what’s your go-to snack?
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 1 T refined coconut oil (or use unrefined if you don't mind a coconut flavor)
- 1 T natural peanut butter (or you could sub defatted peanut flour to keep this less calorie-dense)
- ½ T cocoa powder
- 1 packet (3/4 tsp.) Truvia (or other low-glycemic sweetener, to taste)
- Handful of frozen strawberry slices (enough to use up your chocolate coating; you could also use frozen raspberries)
- Melt the coconut oil, peanut butter, and cocoa powder together (I used a microwave). Stir in the Truvia. Add the frozen strawberries and stir to coat. The chocolate coating will harden on the strawberries very quickly. Enjoy immediately, or let the strawberries thaw a bit before digging in.
The Truvia might not completely dissolve, so if you don't want it slightly gritty, powder it first or use a liquid or powder sweetener in its place (amounts will vary depending on strength of sweetener).
You can make a plain peanut butter version of this by omitting the cocoa powder and stirring some defatted peanut flour into the melted coconut oil. Omit the peanut butter and use just coconut oil, defatted peanut flour, sweetener, and berries for a skinny snack!