This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
I don’t know about you, but I love soup. Like, really love soup. And you know what? My mom makes the best soup – especially the best chicken barley soup. It used to be chicken noodle soup, but when we started eating healthier, we switched out barley for the noodles and love it just as much. Even my younger siblings (who can be picky on certain things) really like the barley in this soup!
I’ve tried to recreate my mom’s chicken soup before (which resulted in this Chicken Barley Veggie Soup recipe), but as is my habit when making soup, I added everything from the fridge that needed to be used up and ended up with almost more soup than would fit in our 6-qt. kettle. It tasted great, but it just wasn’t quite like my mom’s. If you take a look at the recipe below and compare it to this recipe, you’ll see why….
Put simply, my mom’s chicken soup is very simple. It’s a classic.
So you know what I did this time? I asked my mom to make the soup like she usually does and write down the recipe for me. And she did. <3
Chunks of chicken, carrot, and celery in a flavorful-but-simple broth…
Be sure to check out the Notes section of the recipe for answers to FAQs!
You may also enjoy:
- Starting THM
- my recipe index
- my recipes grouped by fuel type, allergy info, and theme
- all my soup recipes
- all my pumpkin recipes
Cookbook preorder will only be open through October 31st, so grab your copy at the special price of $19.99 now while you can! Heads-up: international ordering should be opening up next Monday, October 24th, so check back then, international peeps! You’ll have a week to snag the preorder price.
- 9 c. low-fat chicken broth*
- 2 c. chopped carrots
- 2 c. chopped celery
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 c. cooked, diced chicken breast**
- 4 c. cooked barley***
- 1 T. each cilantro, parsley flakes
- ½ tsp. each basil, dill weed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Additional chicken bouillon, to taste****
- Salt, to taste
- Add the broth and vegetables to a large soup kettle and cook until tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat until everything is heated through. If possible, simmer for an hour or two to let the flavors meld. Taste and add some chicken bouillon for a stronger flavor if desired, then taste and add as much salt as needed (don't skimp on this).
**If using the lesser amount of chicken, you may wish to increase the amount of vegetables.
***1 c. uncooked barley yields approx. 4 c. cooked.
****If you can't find an allergy-friendly bouillon, use nutritional yeast instead.