This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
Mmm…French toast stuffed with pumpkin, spice, and everything nice…including melty cream cheese. I’m on a stuffed French toast kick these days! After perfecting this recipe, I also made a delicious peanut butter-chocolate-banana version, and I see more variations in my French toast future. 😉 Some may appear here on the blog while some will be stashed away for the next cookbook (whenever it makes its appearance). Do you have any suggestions for French toast variations that you’d like to see? Comment below and tell me!
Sprouted bread (such as Aldi’s Simply Nature Sprouted 7 Grain Bread that I used in this recipe) does tend to be chewier than its traditional counterpart in French toast recipes, but I can put up with that knowing that my blood sugar isn’t being yanked out of whack. The effect is still quite nice, on the whole.
Don’t let the long recipe scare you…haha. I wanted to break up the different ingredients according to what steps they are used in for better readability, but the ingredients list does take more space that way. Don’t worry – this is NOT a complicated recipe. Chances are that you already have all the ingredients (or at least something similar enough to substitute) on hand!
You may also enjoy:
my recipe index
recipe index by fuel type/allergy/theme
Pumpkin Spice French Toast in a Bowl
French Toast Casserole
As always, check out the Notes section of the recipe for extra info. Check out the links in and below the recipe to see the products I use and recommend. Some of the links included in the recipe and blog post are affiliate links, which means that if you make purchases through these links, I make a small commission to help defray the costs of running this blog (at no extra charge to you). Thanks for your help!
Today and tomorrow (Oct 21-22) are your last chance to pre-order my new calendar, Necessary Time 2018! CLICK HERE to get your order in and take advantage of the special shipping deal + coupon!
You can pin this recipe here:
- 2 slices sprouted bread*
- 1 T. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 T. plain canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Dash salt
- 2 T. egg whites
- 2 T. unsweetened almond milk
- Dash vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Additional pumpkin pie spice
- Sugar-free maple syrup and/or sugar-free chocolate syrup
- Spread the cream cheese on one slice of bread.
- Mix the pumpkin, Super Sweet Blend, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together and spread over the cream cheese. Top with the other slice of bread to make a sandwich.
- Whisk the egg whites, almond milk, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When it is hot, dip the sandwich in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side. Spray the pan with a light coating of cooking spray and fry the French toast for a few minutes on each side until toasted. (I cover it with a lid while frying to make sure it heats all the way through.) Sprinkle a little extra pumpkin pie spice on the stuffed French toast and serve with sugar-free maple syrup and/or sugar-free chocolate syrup.
I recommend adding a little protein with this stuffed French toast to hold you over until your next meal. 2 slices of the sprouted bread I was using contains 6g protein, but adding a side of low-fat Greek yogurt or a scoop of collagen to your coffee or tea would be ideal.
Store-bought Splenda-sweetened syrup can be used on occasion, or you can make your own maple-flavored syrup. Check out pg. 416 of Necessary Food for my favorite homemade recipe.
Hershey's sugar-free syrup is sweetened mostly with erythritol!
Leave a Reply