This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thanks for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Need a healthy replacement for cold cereal in the mornings? This breakfast “porridge” has become one of my favorite breakfasts. I like to make it the night before and eat it cold out of the fridge in the morning. Finely shredded unsweetened coconut flakes are the basis for the “porridge” consistency, so if you don’t like oatmeal or can’t eat it for some reason, this is a good replacement.
There are many ways you could tweak this recipe to make it your own. Check out the “notes” section of the recipe for ideas.
Oh, and…ahem…if you have trouble in the intestinal department, this stuff will get things moving. The coconut is a great cleanser…er…broom.
You can find a cleaned-up version of this recipe (with an updated picture) in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 1½ cups liquid (I use a mix of unsweetened almond milk and water)
- ¼ tsp. glucomannan
- ½ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (I use the Let's Do Organic low-fat kind)
- Hearty pinch salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. caramel extract
- 1 T butter
- 2 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.), or more, to taste
- ½ scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- Chopped pecans, as desired
- Whisk the glucomannan into the liquid quickly so that it doesn't clump. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the stevia, protein powder, and pecans and stir. Microwave for 3 minutes, then let set in the microwave for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the stevia and protein powder, top with pecans, and refrigerate overnight. Serves one.
- Alternately, you can make this porridge hot in the morning. Decrease the liquid to 1 cup and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir in the stevia and protein powder, and add a little additional unsweetened almond milk if the porridge is too thick. Top with pecans and enjoy warm. I like to leave the butter out of this version and put it on top with the pecans to melt so I can enjoy some with every bite. Delish!
-if you don't want to eat it cold, warm it up in the microwave
-if you don't have finely shredded coconut flakes, I would suggest grinding regular unsweetened coconut flakes into smaller pieces in a food processor, or you could even grind them into flour in a coffee grinder for a smoother consistency
-The protein powder is there to give a source of protein (duh) as well as to thicken the porridge. If you do not include the protein powder, make sure you eat an additional source of protein (Greek yogurt, bacon) with your breakfast. Also, your porridge will be slightly runnier than normal.
-If you don't have or do not like the texture of glucomannan (a natural thickening agent), here are some options: a) just leave the thickener out and eat the pudding runnier, b) decrease the liquid, c) substitute xanthan gum, and/or d) add some ground golden flax or chia seeds to help gel the porridge.
- Finely Shredded Coconut Flakes
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
- Whey Protein Powder