This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thanks for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Recipe updated 3/28/16
If Briana makes a fudgy chocolate layer cake, she’ll want some frosting to go with it.
If the cake wasn’t fudgy enough, this frosting will be. It’s like fudge on fudge. One fudge is deeply moist and chocolate, and the other is creamy-melt-in-your-mouth with a twinge of mocha.
Feel free to use this frosting on things other than my chocolate layer cake. I won’t tell if you make a batch and just straight up eat it with a spoon.
If all that butter and cream cheese scares you, I’m going to work on a lower-fat option before too long. But who’s scared of fats? Fats make you SKINNY! That being said, a chocolate pudding frosting sounds almost as good as a mocha fudge frosting.
(Update: click here for a lightened-up, smaller batch version of this frosting.)
This frosting is very firm and fudgelike once refrigerated, so frost whatever you need to frost before chilling this stuff because once it’s chilled it’ll be impossible to spread. I love it straight out of the fridge in its firm, fudge-like state, but if you want a softer frosting, just let it set out for 20-30 minutes before devouring.
With its silky smooth texture and creamy rich feel in your mouth, this Fudgy Mocha Frosting is truly fit for a special occasion.
Check out this beautiful cake that Katie Casinger made and covered with this frosting! I believe she used the Special Occasion Cake recipe from the original Trim Healthy Mama book:
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 2 sticks of salted butter, softened
- 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 T THM Super Sweet Blend, or more to taste
- 1 T instant decaf coffee (gluten-intolerant people may need to omit this if a gluten free brand cannot be found)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- With a hand mixer, beat all ingredients except the whipping cream together until smooth.
- Add the cream and beat on high till the mixture is lighter in color, fluffy, and thick.
- Frost whatever you are going to be frosting before refrigeration because the frosting hardens to an almost fudge-like consistency in the refrigerator.
- Yields approximately 4 cups of frosting. This is plenty for a three layer cake. A half batch of this frosting ices 18 cupcakes or more with ease.
- Hershey Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- THM Super Sweet Blend can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.