This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
I recently had the flu and was craving something tart and cold. For once in my life, I didn’t want something very sweet. It’s the kind of craving that ginger ale used to fill, but now I’m kind of disgusted by pop (call it soda, if you like) in general. My sister Katelyn, who wasn’t sick, took my order and came up with this ice-cold, flavorful strawberry lemonade. It totally hit the spot and was so refreshing! The awesome thing about this stuff is that it only takes 4 ingredients – one of which is water.
While we’re on the subject of sickness, I thought I’d share with you some of the foods that I enjoyed while under the weather:
- Grilled cheese quesadilla using a low-carb tortilla, mozzarella cheese, and fried in a little butter. It was nice, bland food.
- Bananas. For some reason I craved bananas while I was sick, and they sat well in my stomach. I ate just a half at a time, always making sure I got protein of some sort with it. Often these meals ended up as crossovers, but while I was sick that was fine with me.
- Soup. My sister (she was the only one in our family of 6 who didn’t get sick) made some chicken soup with brown rice and vegetables that really hit the spot. I added lots of red pepper to my bowl to try to open up my nose…
Some of the supplements I took while sick:
- Echinacea capsules
- Garlic (in pill form)
- Vitamin C
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lots of water and hot herbal teas
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.) - adjust to taste
- 1¼ cup water
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth (I use our Ninja single-serve cup). Serves 1.
- I use the single-serve cup in this Ninja blender package to make this recipe. It makes the drink very smooth and you don’t have a big blender cluttering up your dishwasher (or counter).
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!