This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
I recently flew to Colorado for my friend Lena’s wedding (I took her engagement pictures last December) and spent quite a lot of time in airports. I had three flights each way, so I got to see a lot of people, gates, and takeoffs. Here are some of my observations from my time spent traveling last weekend:
1) The attire of choice for globe-trotting women young and old seems to be leggings. Unfortunately. I have never seen a higher percentage of leggings than in an airport. #scarredforlife
2) Chicago O’Hare is my least favorite airport for two reasons: a) it only offers 30 minutes of complimentary WiFi (stingy much?), and b) it’s laid out in a very sprawling manner.
3) Airport personnel are admirably friendly and helpful. And dressed up! I love when people dress up.
4) Stewardesses with a sense of humor brighten everyone’s day. Those pre-flight announcements and safety procedures get old really fast, but a stewardess that can crack a joke can be a much-needed dose of entertainment in a dull day of travel.
5) Denver is a nice airport. It has this awesome place called “Que Bueno” that sells authentic Mexican cuisine very quickly and efficiently (a plus when you have a flight to catch) – and the workers are very nice. Get the Ceasar salad with chicken or steak, minus the croutons. It’s amazing and very filling.
6) The Bacon Ranch Salad from McDonald’s (I got one in O’Hare) is about the best value for your buck as far as healthy airport food goes. I was happily surprised at the quality and size…and tastiness. The salad has grilled chicken on it too, so it filled me up!
7) United Airlines offers sparkling water (aka seltzer) on flights!
8) Striding along on moving sidewalks make me grin. Side note: moving sidewalks are for people who want to get somewhere faster, not for people who are tired of walking. That’s my point of view, anyway. If you’re not gonna walk, please at least don’t stand right in the middle and block traffic.
An explanation for the picture below – I was quite proud of myself for fitting everything I needed into a backpack and a computer bag (including the bridesmaid dress that my mother painstakingly sewed for me).
9) It’s great when the airline plays a cooking show on the seatback monitors! In case you didn’t know this, there are headphone jacks in the armrests so you can actually listen to the show. I discovered this 2/3 of the way through said show. #blonde
10) Sleeping while flying can help the time pass faster but usually leaves me feeling more tired after waking than I was before I dozed.
Do you have any observations to add to my list? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of flying? Which airports are your favorites/least favorite and why? What do you eat when you’re at the airport? Comment below and tell me!