This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
This delightful cake in a bowl is another recipe I’m pulling out of the archives from long ago (like the Pineapple Upside Down Cake that I posted the other day). It combines some of my favorite flavors: blueberry and lemon. We Trim Healthy Mamas seem to eat a lot of chocolate (nothing wrong with that!), but I like to add some different flavors into the mix every once in awhile in case not everyone out there is a diehard chocoholic like I am.
This cake calls for olive oil, which I’ve found adds a nice moistness to my single serve muffins and cakes. I haven’t tried substitutes like butter or coconut oil, but I assume they would work as well (however, they might not leave you with a product as soft and moist). Try it with the olive oil! You might get hooked.
If you don’t have poppyseeds, you can leave them out, but they do add a nice little crunch and an additional depth of flavor.
I’m thinking this recipe might make a good coffee cake. I haven’t tried this, but I would make 4 batches, add a few extra tablespoons of flour (especially if using THM Baking Blend or my Baking Mix), and baked at 350 degrees F in the oven in a small pan. Bake until the top is dry and a toothpick comes out cleanly. Mix together some softened cream cheese, almond milk, and sweetener (such as THM Gentle Sweet, which is already in a powdered form that won’t leave you with gritty frosting) for a pretty cream cheese drizzle.
Feel free to adjust the sweetener amount in this recipe to fit your own personal taste. Of course I undersweeten everything because that’s just what I like (and I prefer to actually taste some lemon zing in this cake), but you’re welcome to add more sweetener than I have called for here.
Need more recipes using my Baking Mix? Click here! Pretty much any recipe that calls for my Baking Mix can also be made with THM Baking Blend – just add a little more Baking Blend because my Baking Mix is a “drier” flour.
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 1 egg
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T coconut flour and 1 T golden flaxmeal *or* 3 T THM Baking Blend (not nut free) *or* 3 T Briana's Baking Mix
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 packs of Truvia (about 1½ tsp. spoonable Truvia or the same amount of THM Gentle Sweet, or you could try ¾ tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend), to taste
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- Small handful of frozen blueberries
- Cream cheese for topping, optional
- With a fork, whisk the wet ingredients together in a small microwave-safe bowl (I used a 2-cup glass Pyrex bowl). Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Add the blueberries and gently stir in. I use frozen blueberries because I always have them on hand and don't feel like thawing them first, but if you use fresh blueberries, you probably won't have to microwave the cake as long. Microwave for 2½ - 3½ minutes or until the top is almost dry (this varies according to the flour you use as well as personal preference). Alternately, I'm sure you could bake this at 350 degrees F until the top is just dry and a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Top with cream cheese if desired, and enjoy!
Click here for my Baking Mix recipe
- Coconut flour
- Golden Flaxmeal
- THM Baking Blend, Gentle Sweet, and Super Sweet Blend can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.