This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
First published 12/2/13 on my old blog; recipe updated 5/9/16
“It’s beginning to [taste] a lot like Christmas…”
I’ve had an idea cooking (er…baking) in my head for awhile now, and it was inspired by an old Southern Living Christmas recipe for Layered Peppermint Cheesecake. The original recipe is a layer cake that uses both a sour cream white cake and peppermint cheesecake layers. I never got around to trying it, but with my birthday coming up, I decided to tweak it THM style. I could easily forgo the cake layers, but the peppermint cheesecake looked salvageable. Add a brownie crust and you have a winner!
All in all, it was a pretty good finale to my birthday meal, which consisted of grilled chicken, cabbage sautéed in butter, and spinach salad.
You can find this recipe (with an updated picture) in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 T natural peanut butter (you don't taste it; aids texture)
- 1 oz. cream cheese (full or reduced fat)
- ¼ cup Briana's Baking Mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 T THM Super Sweet Blend
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 8-oz. packages cream cheese (full or reduced fat), room temperature
- 1½ cups sour cream, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 T oat fiber
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Watkin's peppermint extract
- 2 tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp. THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder
- ½ cup crushed sugar free peppermints
- A few drops of red food coloring, optional
- For the crust: melt the butter, water, peanut butter, and cream cheese together in a nonstick saucepan until smooth. Take off the heat and add the dry ingredients and egg. Beat until smooth and spread into the bottom of a greased 10" springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- For the cheesecake: beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between additions. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the crushed peppermints and mix. Fold in the peppermints. Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the prebaked crust.
- Bake in a water bath (see the Notes section for details) at 325 for one hour or until set. Let the cheesecake cool, then refrigerate overnight before cutting and serving. Yields 12-14 servings
Briana’s Baking Mix
- Trim Healthy Mama paperback
- THM Sweet Blend
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder
- Oat Fiber
- Gluten free oat fiber can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
- Watkin’s Pure Peppermint Extract
- Sugar-free Peppermints (some wonky ingredients in these, but they’re sweetened with Splenda, which could do in a pinch)
- Xylitol-Sweetened Peppermints