This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
First published 4/25/14. Recipe updated 11/2/15.
This is a THM replacement for one of my greatest addictions of all time:
Birthday Cake Ice Cream.
The kind that you buy from Ingles. I don’t know what brand it is, probably Pet or something.
It is yellow cake-flavored ice cream with swirls of blue icing and sprinkles.
This version doesn’t have sprinkles, and let’s face it: birthday cake ice cream cannot be totally recreated without sugar. It just can’t. But this mostly fills the void that was left when Pet Birthday Cake Ice Cream was cruelly snatched from me (OK, so I shoved it away myself and I’m much healthier for it).
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- Ice Cream:
- 1 cup crushed ice
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½-1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- Rounded ¼ tsp. glucomannan
- 3 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- Scant ½ tsp. baking powder
- Hearty dash each of butter and almond flavorings/extracts
- 2 drops of blue food coloring, optional
- 1 T refined coconut oil, melted
- A very minute sprinkle of THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder; taste as you go
- Dash of vanilla flavoring
- Drop of blue food coloring, optional
- Blend the ice cream ingredients together and pour into a freezer-safe bowl/container (put it in the freezer until you're ready to pour the frosting mixture over it).
- Combine the frosting swirl ingredients and drizzle over the ice cream, swirling it in just a little with a spoon. Return the bowl to the freezer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Stir twice within the first 30 minutes for the optimum texture and more even freezing. Serve when the ice cream reaches the desired consistency. If it gets too hard, just defrost for a little bit in the microwave.
- I love to eat this with some natural peanut butter on top (THM:S).
You could omit the freezing step and just enjoy this as a thick milkshake.
- You need some THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder in your life. I use it to sweeten all my ice cream recipes and love it!
- Whey Protein Powder
- Ninja blender