This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Recipe updated 12/16/15.
Sausage gravy over biscuits is one of my family’s favorite meals. Unfortunately, the traditional version is a colossal combination of carbs and fats, plus a bunch of junky ingredients. The very thought makes my stomach churn…
I posted a sausage gravy recipe a while back that I liked, but unfortunately some other people who tried it didn’t like it nearly as much as I did. So this sausage gravy recipe has been on the “remake” list for awhile now, and since I’m working on cookbook recipes these days, I thought I’d pull this one out again and do it over. This time I feel that I was much more successful. My 6 year old brother even liked it, and that’s saying a lot. He cleaned his plate and proclaimed, “This girl can experiment!”
Sausage gravy is meant to be served over biscuits. I made some low-carb biscuits, hoping to post them with the gravy recipe; but the results were not blog-worthy. Yet. I’m going to keep working on them. There are lots of low-carb bread options out there, though, so you should be able to find something relatively easily. I know there are some options in the book Trim Healthy Mama as well as the new THM cookbook, and of course if you Google “low carb biscuits” you’ll probably find more recipes than you know what to do with. I’ve heard lots of good reviews about this recipe, so you might want to give it a try.
Update: try this gravy over these Parmesan Herb Biscuit Muffins! I’ll have a cheddar drop biscuit recipe in my cookbook as well.
Hey, I bet this gravy would be great over my Sour Cream Cornbread!
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 2 lb. sausage of choice (I like pork)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or carton coconut milk for a nut free option)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 T oat fiber (use gluten free if necessary)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (the kind from the green shake container)
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. xanthan gum, slightly rounded
- Fry the sausage in a nonstick skillet. Drain the grease off if there's a lot there. You can leave a little for flavor. Return the sausage to the skillet.
- Add all the other ingredients except for the xanthan gum and stir until smooth. Sprinkle the xanthan gum into the gravy a little at a time while stirring to prevent clumping. Let the gravy simmer for ten minutes at least, then serve over low carb biscuits. Yields 8-10 servings.
- Feel free to thin the gravy down with more almond milk/cream if desired (you may wish to add more oat fiber and xanthan gum as well).
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!