This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Recipe last updated 5/4/16. The new version is for a 9×13″ pan and has several tweaks.
Here in balmy (sticky, muggy, hot) South Carolina, we are into strawberry season full swing. I posted a strawberry shortcake recipe earlier this week, and here’s a strawberry delight recipe to go with it. Both desserts are Thomas family favorites that I can thankfully enjoy in a healthy manner.
I’m assuming everyone is familiar with the concept of a fruit delight. If not, I will gladly describe one for you. First, you have a crust of some sort. Often fairly neutral in flavor…sometimes baked, sometimes not…often made with graham cracker crumbs. Well, the graham cracker crumbs were out, obviously, so I decided to go with sort of a shortbread-type crust. Prebake the crust and let it cool, then top it with a cream cheese layer. The cream cheese layer is then topped with a fruity filling – in this case, strawberries (although any berry could work). To save yourself an extra step, you could just use sliced strawberries by themselves, but I like to add a little glaze to them. Just because that’s traditionally how it’s done…and because I can.
I hope you all enjoy this – we sure did! My partners in crime (my mom and sister) was very impressed with this dessert, and it’ll definitely be one to make again. I think it would go over well at a summer picnic or potluck.
Trim Healthy Mamas (you can visit this page to see my quick synopsis of the plan), this yummy dessert is an S if made with berries. Use another fruit like fresh peaches and you’d have a yummy crossover.
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 10 T salted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 T THM Super Sweet Blend
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup oat fiber (gluten free if necessary)
- 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder
- 1 tsp. Knox gelatin (if using beef gelatin such as Great Lakes brand or THM Just Gelatin, add an extra ¼ tsp.)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the crust: whisk the melted butter, egg, and sweetener together. Add the coconut flour and oat fiber and mix well. Press into a greased 9x13" pan and prebake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the cream cheese filling: beat the cream cheese, vanilla, and stevia together until smooth. Add the gelatin while beating. Add the whipping cream slowly while beating. Beat until thick and fluffy. Spread over the cooled crust.
- For the strawberry layer: whisk the strawberry puree, water, stevia, and salt together in a nonstick saucepan. Add the glucomannan and gelatin while whisking so they don't clump. Bring the mixture to a boil, then take it off the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in the fresh strawberries, then spread on top of the cream cheese layer and refrigerate the delight for several hours until firm. This delight is best the day it is made.
- Yields 15 servings
- Coconut flour
- Oat Fiber
- Knox gelatin
- A gluten free oat fiber, THM Pure Stevia Extract Power, and Sweet Blend can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!