This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
To wrap up the Cranberry Orange Spirit Week here on my blog, here’s a cranberry orange muffin recipe! (You can check out the previously posted Cran Orange Smoothie, Cranberry Chocolate Clusters, and Cranberry Orange Overnight Oatmeal by clicking these links.) These yummy muffins have a pleasing orange flavor and are dotted with tart bursts of fresh cranberry. I love these muffins warm or cold, and they’re great cut in half and toasted the next morning for breakfast!
I’ve found that muffins (or really any recipe) made using only oat flour can tend to be gummy, so I combined it with oat fiber in this recipe. If you don’t have oat fiber, you should totally get some; I use it in my Baking Mix all the time. You could try substituting more oat flour for the oat fiber if you like. If you do that, let me know how it turns out!
Trim Healthy Mamas, these muffins are an E carb source. I recommend pairing them with some lean protein (such as low fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt or this Cran Orange Smoothie) for breakfast or a snack. You could also use them as a dessert after an E meal!
Need more E dessert ideas? Click here for a list of mine!
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- ¾ cup oat flour (oats ground up finely in a blender or coffee grinder; use gluten free if necessary)
- ¾ cup oat fiber (gluten free if necessary)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. orange zest (fresh or dried), optional
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (or more, to taste; this doesn't make an overly sweet muffin)
- ¼ tsp. each ginger and cloves
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup + 2 T egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tsp. orange extract
- ¾ cup cranberries (thawed if frozen)
- Whiz the dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients) in a food processor until mixed (I use our Ninja blender food processor attachment). Add the wet ingredients (not the cranberries) and process until smooth. Add the cranberries and process until the cranberries are in chunks.
- Grease 9 muffin tin holes and divide the batter evenly among them. Do not add water to the empty muffin holes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. For best results, let the muffins sit a few minutes before cutting and eating. Store leftovers in the fridge (they're great cold!). I like to cut leftover muffins in half and toast them for breakfast the next morning.
- Trim Healthy Mamas, feel free to enjoy 2-3 of these muffins with a teaspoon of butter and some protein for breakfast or a snack (or eat them with an E meal as dessert).
- Oat Fiber
- Watkin’s Orange Extract
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder and gluten free oat fiber can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.