This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
I learned something very humbling the other day. I learned that I had been saying “rooibos” totally wrong. It’s pronounced “ROY-boss.” Get it right, Briana.
Good luck re-programming your brain…
Sometimes I cringe to post absurdly simple recipes because I think to myself, “Anyone could figure that out for himself.” But then I remember that I myself enjoy looking at other people’s absurdly simple recipes for inspiration…and those are the recipes that I’m more apt to make. So here you go. If this feels like an insult to your intelligence-grow up.
I’m not a huge fan of Rooibos tea on its own because I think it tastes like cough syrup. I prefer my cough syrup to be either grape- or Dr. Pepper-flavored. But my beloved Oolong is caffeinated, which means that if I drink it past about 4 in the afternoon, I run the risk of not being able to sleep at night. As far as I can figure, Rooibos tea isn’t caffeinated, at least it doesn’t have the same sleepless effect on me as Oolong does, so since we had some around the house already, I decided to try it. I quickly decided that I didn’t really want it straight up, so I started adding things to it. Now I like it a lot, and it just tastes fall-ish and coffee-shop-ish and all that other good stuff. I’m sure this same procedure could be followed with many different kinds of tea, like Oolong, or cinnamon, etc., etc., but Rooibos does have a nice strong flavor so if not using such a strong tea you might have to play with amounts.
- A mug filled ⅔-3/4 full with water
- 1 Rooibos tea bag
- Unsweetened almond milk
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (I like 1½ - 2 doonks; a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- Fat-free Reddi-Whip (contains a trace amount of sugar; less than 1 carb/serving)
- Jazz it up (optional):
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream (to pour into the drink or whipped for the top)(this adds fat; for THMs this would make the drink an S)
- Cloves or cinnamon for garnish
- Heat the water for 2 minutes in the microwave (or boil it on the stove; I don't care); add the tea bag and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag (if desired), add your stevia extract powder and stir, fill the mug up to the top with unsweetened almond milk, and top with FF Reddi-Whip.
- Optional: stir in some vanilla extract with the stevia, use cream for part of the almond milk (adds fat), use whipped cream for a garnish instead of Reddi-Whip (sweeten the cream with more stevia; the cream adds fat), and/or sprinkle some cloves or cinnamon on top for garnish.
- Rooibos tea
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.