This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. Thank you for helping me feed (haha...get it..."feed"...nevermind) my ice cream addiction (and support my site so I can keep giving you free recipes).
Pictures updated 10/12/15.
I’ve always loved the classic pairing of peanut butter and strawberry jelly, so I turned to it to create a fat-stripping milkshake that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, supper, snack, dessert…really any time!
During my last Fuel Cycle I was inspired to incorporate more Fuel Pulls into my diet while I’m trying to reach goal weight (you can learn more about Fuel Pulls and Fuel Cycles in the book Trim Healthy Mama). Missing my peanut butter, I created this PB&J milkshake and have been loving it ever since.
What’s the secret to the peanut butter flavor without the fat? Defatted peanut flour! This brand from Netrition.com doesn’t have the additional sugars that brands such as PB2 contain. If you buy some defatted peanut flour, use some of it in the crumbs for my peanut butter cream pie. The Trim Healthy Mama online store also carries defatted peanut flour. You can get it from Amazon as well.
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- ½ cup crushed ice
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½-1 scoop protein powder (if you're not using this shake for a meal, you could probably decrease or omit this)
- ⅛ tsp. glucomannan
- Pinch salt
- 3 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp)
- 2-3 T defatted peanut flour (or use 2 T natural peanut butter for a THM:S option that is no longer low fat)
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth (I like to use our Ninja single-serving blender cups). Enjoy!
- Ninja blender – we use the single-serve blender cups with this set on a regular basis
- Whey Protein Powder – use this to turn this shake into a meal or snack
- Glucomannan – this thickens and smooths this shake into a milkshake
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder – my sweetener of choice for a rounded flavor in my shakes – it can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
- Defatted Peanut Flour – this stuff will fill your peanut butter craving, even when you need to take a break from the fats for a bit
Don't forget to subscribe via email so you never miss a post! There's a sign up thingy in the sidebar to your right if you're on desktop, or it may be at the bottom of the page if you're on mobile. You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!