This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
This Fried Apple Pie is a healthier version of McDonalds! It’s a THM Crossover (or an E, if you follow the suggestion in the recipe notes below) and doesn’t contain any added sugar!
I doubt I’m the only person who enjoys eating healthy but still misses McDonalds’ apple pies…. Good news! This version is a pretty good mimicry! And it’s super easy to throw together when you need a quick fix.
Based off of the same principle used for my Fried Cream Cheese and Berry Taco, this Fried Apple Pie envelopes an amazing filling of delicately spiced apples. I added some cream cheese, which you can omit if you like, but it adds a nice creaminess.
How do I enjoy THM Crossovers?
Trim Healthy Mamas, this recipe is a crossover. Crossovers are healthy but not as weight-loss-promoting as recipes that stick with a single fuel (i.e. either carbs or fats – not both in the same recipe). If you’re at goal weight, you can enjoy crossovers no problem! If you still have some pounds to lose, keep crossovers for once-in-awhile treats.
Want to stick with just one fuel? The Fried Cream Cheese and Berry Taco I mentioned earlier is a solid THM S, and you can check out the notes section of the recipe below for a THM E version of this Fried Apple Pie that’s not quite as decadent but should still be delicious.
Ahem…just so you know, there’s a S’mores Taco recipe in Necessary Food….
A word to the wise
Don’t omit the cloves! The cloves are what really trigger the “McDonald’s apple pie” taste button in my brain.
- If anyone’s wondering, I used Granny Smith apples in this recipe. Mmm…I love their tartness, and they hold up great for baking.
- Coconut oil does a delightful job of making fried foods crispy, and it works magic with low carb tortillas or the Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Lavash Bread I mention in the recipe below. Frying it in coconut oil turns it into a pie pastry-like shell!
You may also enjoy:
You can also find this recipe in Convenient Food!Print
This Fried Apple Pie is a healthier version of McDonalds! It’s a THM Crossover (or an E, if you follow the suggestion in the notes below) and doesn’t contain any added sugar!
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 3/4 teaspoon THM Super Sweet Blend (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Lavash Bread (or 1 low carb tortilla)
- Reduced fat cream cheese
- Refined coconut oil for frying
- Additional cinnamon and THM Super Sweet Blend
- Stir the apple mixture ingredients together and microwave for 2 minutes to soften the apples.
- Spread the apple mixture on one side of the lavash piece. Spread some reduced fat cream cheese on the other side and fold the lavash over onto itself. Fry in coconut oil until crispy and golden brown on each side, then sprinkle with some additional cinnamon and Super Sweet Blend and enjoy!
I didn’t peel the apple, but you can if you want.
For a THM E (low fat) version, you could omit the cream cheese and use just 1 teaspoon of coconut oil for frying. Obviously this version isn’t as decadent, but it might still fill your apple pie craving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: microwave/stovetop
- Cuisine: THM Crossover or E, sugar free
Keywords: fried, apple, pie, trim healthy mama, thm, sugar free, crossover