This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
It’s iced coffee time, y’all! Problem is, some of us (ME, ME!!) don’t like coffee. So here’s an iced chai for you tea lovers. I’m sure you could use different flavors of tea to make this drink your own, but you might have to use different spices or omit them altogether. This refreshing drink is easy to make (you don’t even have to get your blender out!) and much cheaper than buying those stupid Starbucks drinks. Can you tell I’m not a coffee drinker? Haha… Actually, I do enjoy Starbucks’s coffee-flavored iced frappe thingys, but I cannot in good conscience spend upwards of $4 on a drink that will be gone in all of 10 minutes. Not to mention the fact that they’re loaded with sugar and other yummy-but-disturbing things.
Trim Healthy Mamas (want to find out more about this low-glycemic lifestyle? Click here!), this homemade iced chai is an S drink because of the heavy whipping cream. You can make this drink Fuel Pull (no significant sources of either carbs or fats) by substituting more unsweetened almond milk for the cream, but I highly suggest that you make the S version. It’s just so creamy – a kind of coffee-shop creamy that you’re not going to get with just almond milk. This drink is not meant to be an all-day sipper, even if you make the Fuel Pull version. Use this drink with a meal or snack; you could probably add a little more protein powder to turn the drink itself into a light snack if you wish.
If you need suggestions for tea to use in this drink, I highly recommend either this vanilla chai or this decaf version. For a stronger flavor, use two tea bags instead of just one like I did here. I enjoyed the drink with one, but I know that some people would prefer two. You can also add more cinnamon and cloves (and other traditional chai spices) for more flavor, and don’t forget the salt and sweetener! They really round out the flavors.
If you don’t like chai (I didn’t either until only a month or two ago), try making this with fruit-flavored teas! I would omit the spices if doing so, but you can always add in some flavor oils to intensify the flavor. I’d love to try making this drink with raspberry tea and add a few drops of raspberry flavor oil.
Question of the day (comment below!): do you like chai?
You can find this recipe in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 1 bag vanilla chai tea
- Hot water
- 2 T heavy whipping cream (substitute with almond milk for a low-fat, THM:FP option that's not quite as creamy)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Cinnamon and cloves, to taste
- Hearty dash of salt
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1 T vanilla whey protein powder
- 3 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder, to taste (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- Ice cubes
- Steep the tea bag in a coffee mug full of hot water for at least 5 minutes (even longer is great).
- Meanwhile, add all the other ingredients to a quart-sized jar with a lid. Shake well to combine and make the cream frothy. Fill the jar pretty much all the way up with ice cubes, then pour the tea over the top (it should come very near the top of the jar, but if it doesn't for some reason, feel free to add extra water and/or unsweetened almond milk). Stir to combine everything and taste. Adjust to your liking; I added more salt. You can also add more sweetener, as well as more spices for a stronger flavor. Feel free to use another tea bag for a stronger flavor as well, especially if you're not going to be drinking this all right away and it'll get watered down some.
- Trim Healthy Mamas, this is NOT meant to be an all-day sipper. Because of the cream (and even the amount of almond milk) it contains, you need to drink this within an hour with your meal or snack (or add more protein powder to make it into a snack itself) so you don't keep trickle-feeding your body with fuel to burn. Feel free to use more almond milk in place of the cream for a FP drink (it just won't be as creamy).
- Vanilla Chai Tea or Decaf Vanilla Chai Tea
- Whey Protein Powder
- THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder, my sweetener of choice, can be purchased at the Trim Healthy Mama online store.