This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for my affiliate disclosure. If you purchase items through my affiliate links, I receive a small commission but your price doesn't change.
Need an amazing coffee cake recipe to have on hand for on-the-go breakfasts? What about a special treat for Sunday morning? This recipe consists of a great cinnamon-y coffee cake topped with streusel and finished off with a drizzle of cream cheese icing. What could be better?
I used Trim Healthy Mama’s awesome Baking Blend (which can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store) to make this coffee cake. That stuff works wonders, let me tell you! It produces a nice, fluffy texture in baked goods, which is great when you’re used to juggling coconut flour and oat fiber ratios. What’s even better is that the Baking Blend is all you need; no longer do you need a couple of different flours on hand (and spread all over the counter…*ahem*).
If you need more Baking Blend recipes for your arsenal, try my Powdered Sugar Mini Donuts (they’re super easy) or this 5 Ingredient White Cake (which can be made either single-serve or in a full pan).
I like this coffee cake best cold a day old out of the refrigerator, but it’s good warm, too. Refrigeration helps the sweetness level kind of mellow out. While I’m on the subject of sweetness, feel free to add more granulated sweetener (such as Truvia or THM Super Sweet Blend or Gentle Sweet, both of which can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store). I tend to undersweeten my stuff because that’s just what makes my taste buds happy, but not everyone is like me. I would suggest adding additional granulated sweetener instead of more stevia extract powder just because a blend of the two works best in this recipe and produces a more mellow, “authentic” sweetness.
Trim Healthy Mamas (you can click here to see my quick synopsis of the plan as well as view some of my favorite ingredients to have on hand), this is an S breakfast option, dessert, snack, what have you! Yes, it does include a few tablespoons of oats, which are usually considered an E fuel (a healthy carb source that should not be included with S meals if you want to promote weight loss), but the amount is small enough to fit well within S guidelines. You’re getting less than a tablespoons of oats per serving. They’re in there to help with the traditional streusel texture, but if you’d like to omit them, try substituting some unsweetened flaked coconut and/or more chopped nuts.
Question of the day: what’s your favorite make-ahead breakfast item to have on hand? This Mock “Cinnamon Life” Muesli is my new fave.
Need more breakfast options? Click here to see mine!
You can find a streusel coffee cake recipe using my baking mix in my cookbook, Necessary Food.
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup sour cream, slightly rounded
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cups THM Baking Blend
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- 6 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (a doonk is 1/32 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. Truvia (or 1 tsp. THM Super Sweet Blend), or more to taste
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- Streusel topping:
- 4 T salted butter, softened
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 3 packets Truvia (2¼ tsp. spoonable Truvia, or try half that of THM Super Sweet Blend)
- 2 T oat fiber (use gluten free if necessary)
- 6 T old fashioned oats (use gluten free if necessary)
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened (full or reduced fat)
- 2 T unsweetened almond milk
- 1 doonk THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder
- Additional pecans for topping, optional
- For the coffee cake, beat the wet ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients and beat again. Pour into a greased 8x8 inch baking dish and smooth the top.
- Stir the streusel ingredients together and spread the crumbs evenly over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes (check at 25) or until a toothpick comes out cleanly and the middle is not soggy.
- Let the coffee cake cool, then mix together the drizzle ingredients and drizzle over the coffee cake.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled, then cut and serve. Store in the refrigerator. Yields 9 servings.
If you'd like to use my Baking Mix instead of the THM Baking Blend, use 1 cup + 2 T of my Baking Mix and add ¼ cup of water. Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out cleanly and the middle is not soggy (check at 20 minutes and leave it in a little longer if necessary).
THM Baking Blend, Pure Stevia Extract Powder, Super Sweet Blend, and a gluten free Oat Fiber can be purchased from the Trim Healthy Mama online store.
Leave a Reply